Join Lenora Boyle in Italy, the land of passion and possibilities.



Saturday, October 17, 2009

Padua (Padova)


My friend, Steve, told me that Padova had the best food market in Italy. I'm not sure that's official, but I know that it was just as great as a museum visit for me! I loved being surrounded by the herbs (photo) and colorful fruits, vegetables, spices and clothing.



I grew up with a chestnut tree in my backyard in West Virginia. Every winter my Italian grandmother, who lived next door, would roast the nuts in a pan on her stove. The mess left from the prickly chestnut covering on the ground got the better of my dad, and sometime after I graduated from college, he cut the tree down. But when I saw all the chestnuts displayed in the market in Padua, they looked so exotic and beautiful. Round and brown protected in their porcupine bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment